Saturday, October 6, 2012

Working Through the Pain

I turned my ankle today.  It isn't a really bad, but it was tough walking back along the lake to get to the car.  Ice and Advil will do the trick and it's a pretty purple right now.  Mike and Jack walked ahead to bring the car as close as they could to the trailhead.

Along the way, some exercise junkies stopped me to chat.  I was obviously limping and leaning heavily on a stick that Mike had given me.

"Had a great workout today on the trail," he said.

"Ah, that's great.  I'm not going to be so lucky," I said.  I didn't really want to talk details about my medical issues with these people.

"Oh, did you make it to the top?" she said.

"No.  I was walking around the lake,"  I said. 

Awkward silence. 

"Not up to going up the hill today," I rambled. "My dog usually needs about two miles a day, but ..." I trailed off, knowing that no excuse would be good enough.  It was embarrassing.  I turned to limp away. 

"Well, I know what you're talking about.  My mom had her knee replaced," he said.  At least he was trying, but do I look that old?

"You should just burn through it," she said.  She was wearing yoga pants.  I have to say that no one really looks good in yoga pants.  Her butt was way too flat for them. 

"You know, just keep going and work through the pain.  That's what you should do," she said.

"Thanks," I said and hobbled away as fast as I could.  I would keep going as far as the waiting car.

Thank you for listening, jules

 

No comments:

Post a Comment