Sunday, July 1, 2012

Alone

Well, crap!  My guys are leaving for a week. I'm going to have to resist the urge to sulk.  I have a great list of things to do, but I'm not sure I'll want to do them.  I have a list of things I need to do, but I don't know if I'll do them.  I might just read and sleep all week. 

That sounds really lame. 

I'll walk the dog.  He'll give me that special pathetic look of his.  If I ignore that, he might just chew up something I sort of like.  Last week, I didn't feed him breakfast until 10:30 and he chewed up a carving my husband had worked on. 

I just looked behind the laptop for a sticky note I lost and found a bunch of things we never use, things that are defunct.  I found a video camera and some home movies on little cassettes.  I found a GPS.  There's a digital camera back there.  My son has also put his 2G iPhone, and a 3G iTouch there, both with dead batteries.  Do you think we have a technology time warp back there?  Why are we keeping all of this junk? 

The pencil sharpener still works and hasn't been superceded by a 5G iSharp.  We also have a regular pad of paper instead of an iPad.  The papercutter is old fashioned.  I suppose that my husband will eventually want an iCut.

Oh, I am funny, am I not?  You're right.  Not.

I wonder how weird I'll get this week.  I can get pretty strange when I don't sleep right.  Will I sleep?  I won't have to set the alarm.  I won't have to get up to see what junk my son has had for breakfast.  Oh, hold your indignation, Moms.  He usually has Multigrain Cheerios and feeds a handful to the dog.  I won't have to ask him about reading, or where he wants to go in an attempt to get him off the couch and on his feet outside.  He totally sees through my ruse, though an offer to go to Sky High or to the shooting range sometimes gets through to him.

I won't have to think of anybody but me this week.  Well, shit.  I still have to feed the cats and the dog.  I'll still have to go for walks or go stand at an off leash dog area where I'll have to talk to people.  Do I want to talk to anyone this week?  I'm not sure I do.  I'll still have to clean the litter boxes, give the cat his pills, and I have to talk to the cashier at Costco since we're out of paper towels and canned corn. 

I won't have to listen to any episodes of Spongebob, or iCarly, or The Regular Show.  None!  I don't have to turn the TV on at all if I don't feel like it. 

Instead of being creative, am I going to stay up late watching dumb movies on TNT?  Instead of finding solitude, am I going to tag along with my friends to the Fourth of July celebration at Carnation?  Instead of going to galleries, will I shop for basic food and bring it home to sit on the couch? 

We will see.  We will see. 

Thank you for listening, jules

No comments:

Post a Comment