Monday, July 2, 2012

Fourth of July Shortcuts

Crabby?  Who me? 

Well this week, someone tried to break into my car.  My cat died.  My husband and son are both having a great time at Boy Scout camp without me.  It's been a crappy week, except for the people who really love me.  I have to admit that I have them.  I'm pretty lucky that way.  Still, I'm crabby about the rest of this stuff. 

I'm almost to a point I don't want to do anything fun.  Almost.  What the hell is with that?  I'd rather hang out at home and sulk instead of going for a walk with my friend? 

I'm glad I went.  I feel much better now.  I get crabby when I don't get enough exercise.  I get crabby when I'm not outside enough.  RunKeeper says that we walked 4.97 miles tonight.  Why is it always just short of some good round number?  Why couldn't it have been 5.03 miles instead? 

I'm having Fourth of July salad.  If you're a lazy shit like me, you put blueberries and strawberries in a bowl and cover them with whipped cream from a can.  If you're a Martha Stewart wannabe with way too much time on your hands, you'll hand whip your cream, add some gelatin, brown sugar and a soupcon of rosewater.  Then you'll spread it out in a rectangular pan over a thin layer of graham cracker crust with crushed walnuts and a layer of cream cheese blended with confectioner's sugar.  And very carefully, you'll add a layer of toasted coconut on top of which you will hand place the blueberries and strawberries in order to depict an American flag waving in the sunshine. 

Yeah.  I'm done eating my redneck Fourth of July salad now.  I might just go eat some cream cheese out of the package.  We're all out of graham crackers or I'd eat some of them too.

Thank you for listening, jules

No comments:

Post a Comment