Thursday, August 21, 2014

A Bit of a Mess

I went to a friend's house and she had the audacity not to clean before I came over. I actually saw a dust bunny in a corner. She had shoes on the floor by the door. There were personal items on the counter in her kitchen and a couple of pine needles on the floor mat by the door.

What is happening with this world?

Doesn't she know she was supposed to get up at 7:30 this morning so she could vacuum and dust the entire house before I arrived? Didn't she know I would be offended if I saw anything that was left out on tables and counter tops? Was she aware that items that weren't staged for show should be put away?

The dust bunny totally interrupted our conversation. I couldn't focus on the lunch that she served because a few plants grew too tall outside her back window. I didn't want to walk through her dining room in case a pine needle got stuck to my shoe. I didn't want to sit on her couch in case a cat hair stuck to my old jacket. I was horrified.

How could she? She didn't even apologize!

I once read about a culture who believed that it was okay to have people visit without scouring the house before they arrived. I wish I remembered which one it was. If I ever remember, I might have to move there.

I relaxed in my friend's living room and realized that I'm so tired of having people over to my house because I'm tired of keeping up with the Jones. I realized that this woman can come over to my house any time where I might hedge if it were someone else, someone else who has that perfect house, the one with no dust bunnies, the one that has that unused decorator living room. With my friend, I can focus on how I want my house to feel for my family and not just for guests. I didn't have to worry about where I sat. I might have made a butt print on the fancy couch in the unused living room. I didn't have to take off my shoes at the door. Plus, she wasn't too exhausted to hang out and chat for a while when I got there. I used to have a friend who would begin to clean up something slightly askew in her house while I was there. Twenty minutes later, I was still waiting for her to come chat with me. I don't visit that woman any more. Holy cow - how did we get going down this path that said our houses have to be perfect before anyone can step over the threshold?

Thank you for listening, jules

No comments:

Post a Comment