Sunday, October 6, 2013

The Rotters

Mike's company has begun the great invasion into our private lives.

Last week, I had to submit to having my blood pressure taken. It was low. Then, they drew blood. My good cholesterol is probably high enough they'll bug me about my overall cholesterol. And then they made me get onto a scale.

The rotters.

They have no right to tell me how to live my life. Are they harassing people who go climbing in their spare time? It's a risky sport. Someone could get hurt. Are they challenging me to move to another house because I live in a slide zone? That hill could come down at any time. Are they giving people grief if they spend too much time on the road? Driving is also a dangerous sport. The average person gets into an accident every thirteen years. Are they testing me for drugs, overuse of alcohol? That certainly shortens a life.

No.

They're bothering fat people.

The funny thing was that I hadn't thought of myself as fat before they got hold of me. Now, in order to get the benefits the company offers, significant benefits, I have to submit to their invasion by changing my lifestyle, lowering my 'numbers', and submitting to their questions. There are phone calls I don't want to answer. I shouldn't have to discuss my eating and exercising habits with my husband's company. No one should.

What is the price of independence? What control should a company have over its employees? Should they be able to say I have to lose weight or lose benefits?

Well, they just did, the rotters.

Thank you for listening, jules

No comments:

Post a Comment