Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Release Trump Taxes

Most nights, when I finally get to sit down for a minute, I watch MSNBC. I like watching Rachel Maddow and Lawrence O'Donnell. I've never watched this much news before. It feels important, critical even. Every night, when I finally turn the television off, I feel as though I have something to say.

So, if you've read my blog for a while, you know by now that I am a ordinary person. Technically, I'm a stay-at-home mom, but I end up running all over the county in my 'free' time to give my hours away in great volumes. I work with Boy Scouts to earn their Citizenship in the Community merit badges and run any other errands their leaders might need me to run. I tutor students at the high school. When I'm home, I try to cook real food. I make good pie, brisket, and a calzone that makes my husband feel very well-loved. I read, walk my dog, talk too much to the cashier at the local market, and I spend too much money having coffee with my girlfriends, some of whom even voted for Trump because they believed him when he said he'd help ordinary people in this country. We have interesting conversations. We could solve the world's problems if the world would only listen to us. I've noticed that we are good indicators of what's trending for women our age. Well, you have to leave out jewelry and makeup trending for me. Sorry. Jewelry and makeup generally bore me.

So, when I watch the news and I hear Trump representatives saying that 'most people don't care if Donald Trump releases his taxes,' I want to stand up and yell at the TV.

"I want Donald Trump to release his taxes!"

I don't actually stand up, but Mike is used to me talking back to the TV by now.

I want you to know that I've nearly gone past caring what the Trump administration is doing. Every day, they indeed do something horrible, a new Muslim ban, a new lie about what Trump tweeted on his unsecured phone, a new controversial appointment with the intent to dismantle the EPA or the Department of Education. It's an endless stupid show. I no longer expect the Trump administration to act with decorum or integrity. I'm not surprised when they lie. I'm not even surprised when news is released that Trump's promises are repeatedly broken or that he intends to dismantle some of the very departments that make our country so beautiful and compassionate, like the EPA, the National Parks, the Department of Labor, and the Department of Education.

No. I don't think, despite the postcards that I'm sending to the White House tomorrow, that any of the protests, the activism, or even the reactions by experts is going to have one iota of impact on what the Executive Branch is currently doing. I have given it up. They don't care what happens to the people of this nation. My opinion is that they have their own agenda and it's all about how they can inflate their billion dollar bank accounts with my taxpayer money. Just look at the way Trump has traveled, spending eight times what Obama did in the same time period. No. I'm losing interest in that three-ring circus.

But I am very interested in what Congress is doing. There are very particular areas where I want to see action by Congress.

Congress needs to appoint an independent bipartisan commission to investigate the Trump administration's involvement with Vladimir Putin and the Russian government. 

Congress needs to investigate Trump's sources of income and his violation of the Constitution when he is taking money from foreign governments as gifts or payment. 

Congress needs to insist that Trump release his taxes.

I am not a paid protester. I am not a journalist. I'm an ordinary voting mom who sees the strong ties between the current members of the Executive Branch and the leaders of the Russian government.

So, why is our Congress ignoring the red flags that keep being thrown onto the field by our most reputable journalists? A few members of Congress are beginning to see that this new administration is not comprised of your standard Republicans with the honor that Republicans generally stand by. Senator John McCain and Senator Lindsey Graham have begun to make an effort to keep the Trump administration in line. These two brave men might just save our democracy.

While many Republicans are voting in lock-step with anything that the Trump administration wants, there are a few others who are beginning to call foul on the crazy edicts that come daily from the Oval Office.

Representative Walter Jones of North Carolina and Representative Mark Sanford of South Carolina both voted to request Trump's tax returns. That's what I'm talking about! These men are heroes. I may have stayed up too late watching Elizabeth Warren and the rest of the Democrats filibustering the poor choices for Cabinet members, but it's going to take strong Republicans to finally stand with a Democrat or two to demand that this administration stop violating our Constitution.

The Constitution is something that Republicans have stood behind for years. Republicans love it. Many of them have probably read the Federalist Papers.

Sorry. No. I haven't read them.

These brave Republicans need to get behind their beloved Constitution now to prevent it from crumbling into dust. They need to see the corruption in the Trump administration that is so obvious to me, an ordinary mom who lives hundreds of miles from the nation's capital.

Thank you for listening, jules

No comments:

Post a Comment