Friday, January 20, 2017

Inauguration Angst

I was in my bed, hiding under the covers when my husband texted me and said, 'It's done.' I had somehow imagined that polar bears would meet, make a decision, and then a unicorn would take form out of the mist, tap the orange one with pink hair and tiny hands with a glittering hoof and make him small again. But that didn't happen. Then, not being able to sleep, I got up and paced for a while. My friends texted me to see if I was protesting today. I've been protesting lots of days, sending letters to Congressmen, and wildly signing petitions, but today I just couldn't. So, I paced for a while longer, then finally sat down to a black screen on my computer. Then, I remembered you, Jenny Lawson. I looked for you and you gave me cat hugs and bunnies.

And I knew it would ultimately be okay. Even if I couldn't fight today, even if existential angst threatened to climb into my throat and choke me, my kitten would still bat at the string from my hoodie, my son would still be hungry for what I cooked, my husband would still make snarky comments in the kitchen, and my dog would still need long and wandering walks by the river.

Jenny, thank you for the cat hugs and bunnies just when I needed them most. 


Thank you for listening, jules

No comments:

Post a Comment