Wednesday, November 27, 2013

A Bug

It's a stomach virus.

Last night, Nick skipped the troop swim. I almost gave him grief about it. Why does he miss all the good Boy Scout stuff? Well, it's the good stuff in my opinion, anyway. Biking, hiking, swimming.

Thankfully, I didn't give him too much grief. He said his stomach hurt. I planned to send him to school today anyway because I didn't want him to have one more absence for a half day at school before a holiday. The day before Thanksgiving is always an easy day.

Last night, he ate. A little. He complained that he felt a little nauseous, but he didn't use the puke pail he put by his bed. It took him a while, but he eventually fell asleep.

This morning, with no thought in the world except of all the kids who's parents took them out of school today so they could travel, I sent Nick to school. I'm self-righteous about that.

And then.

And then, it hit me, right in the stomach. Oh, I've had worse bouts of stomach flu. I have. But it was there, insistent and persistent. I'm feeling a bit of it now. You know what I mean, that big grumble, the feeling that you want to eat macaroni and cheese or toast instead of your usual salad. Why do I always get the munchies when I have the stomach flu? All you ever get afterward is worse symptoms.

About ten minutes ago, Mike came into the room and said, "Yup. We've got a stomach bug. It's official."

Tea. I'm going to make tea and go back to bed. No, I don't have a dinner plan. And no, I don't intend on taking the dog for a long walk, probably not even a short one. I don't think I'll puke. Nick didn't. Mike's not taking the dog out either. That poor guy will have to run up and down the stairs with his toys tonight. Teddy, not Mike.

Or maybe he'll chase the cat. Poor cat.

Thank you for listening, jules


No comments:

Post a Comment