Thursday, November 28, 2013

A Big Turkey

Why did I buy such a big-ass turkey? I could have gotten a small turkey and I wouldn't have had to get up at oh-God in the morning to put it into the oven. What the hell was I thinking?

Everyone else in the house is asleep. It's completely dark out. Really, I should have gotten this damn turkey in the oven an hour ago. I don't even like turkey most of the time.

For me, it's all about the pie. Pumpkin pie, squash pie, apple pie, raisin pie. Oh man, if you've never had that buttery flavor of raisin pie, you're really missing out. How could you, unless you're my cousin. We called it fly pie. For reunions, that put off a few people, for a while. Then, it got popular and you had to elbow your way to the front of the line to get some.

Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. You wouldn't know it from my current attitude, but it is. Food, non-denominational good spirit, loud music as I cook, and my little family at home for four days in a row. Why is that non-denominational part of the good spirit important to me? Dunno. Plus, there isn't an over-arching need to stress over what gift to buy anyone.

"I thought Christmas was your favorite holiday," Nick said yesterday.

"No honey, Christmas is your favorite holiday. Thanksgiving is my favorite."

"Oh ... but why?"

"Because Thanksgiving is simple."

"What about the presents?"

"Exactly."

He sat there with a look on his face, that look that said that I had no idea what I was talking about. We're in that stage. It's okay. I don't expect him to get it at this age. I didn't.

Thank you for listening, jules

No comments:

Post a Comment