Friday, June 7, 2013

Plugged In

Oh man, I napped with ear plugs in because I was on on the other side of the house and I could still hear the boys screaming just because I gave them permission. They only have two days of school left for the year, the last Friday. I can tell. They haven't unplugged from their video game since they got home from school. They are no longer playing the game. They're just shooting at each other.

"Hey quit it."

"You killed me. I only freezed you."

"I'm only doing this because you were doing it to me."

"Stop doing it to me."

"You stop doing it to me first."

Okay, they can stay plugged in for a couple of weeks, but then things will have to change. They will. Right? Won't I need to step in?

Even their teachers are done. They're watching movies at school. Movies. Not just one movie, but more than one. School of Rock. Titans. Are these movies redeeming in some way?

Don't get me wrong. I get it. I'm tired too. At the beginning of the year, I was all gung-ho. I volunteered to work in the library. I chaperoned at dances. I went on the field trips. I even volunteered at the old elementary school they'd outgrown. Big mistake. My window for leaving has passed and now I'm stuck there until I die. Today, at the end-of-year celebration, they told us they're going to send us an email in September. I don't want an email in September. I haven't checked my email in a week.

I wonder what's in store for dinner tonight? Oh crap. I'm the one who's supposed to figure that out. I'm sick of all the take-out options. Pizza. Teriyaki. Chinese. Roasted chicken. I'm tired of steamed mixed vegetables, cauliflower, green beans with garlic salt and Parmesan, salad greens with pepperoni and garbanzos, omelets with spinach and provolone. I'm sick of it all.

I want cheesecake, ice cream, thick sweet iced tea with infinite ice cubes. I want macaroni and cheese, pizza rolls, a juicy cheeseburger, and cherry pie. I want to eat all of the things I'm not supposed to have.

Wow! I can see in the reflection of the computer that one of the boys has unplugged himself from the video game controller. He's standing, unencumbered, stretching his arms above his head. He's walking! He's moving away from the stream of information! He's free!

Damn. He's in the toilet.

Thank you for listening, jules
 

No comments:

Post a Comment