Saturday, November 3, 2012

Standby Expenditures

I hate that I can't open my dishwasher in the middle of a cycle without having to restart it when I close the door.  Can't it figure out that I'm likely to want that load washed anyway, that I only opened the door to add a fork I dirtied before it got too far along?

And what the hell is going on with the recessed instructions.  It says where it is in the cycle, but you have to lean over and look in at it from an angle when the door is closed.  What is the problem with having the buttons and cycle information right where I can see them?  Oh, it's not pretty to have buttons on the front.  I tell you, if they do that with my next oven, I'm going to scream!  I want to see the settings.  I don't need lights, just an indicator that tells me where the damn thing is set. 

And what is it with everything and their lights?  I have more than one appliance that has a light on to indicate that the damn thing is off.  Really?  Do I need the little red light to tell me that?  No. I don't.  I just need the little green light to turn off and then I know.  I'm actually pretty smart here.  How much energy do we expend on appliances that are busy indicating that they're off?  Wikipedia calls it 'standby power.'

Did you know that up to 10% of our power consumed is from standby power?

It's something to think about, isn't it?

I wonder how much money people saved on electricity in New Jersey this week? 

Last winter, we didn't have power for seven days after an ice storm and our bill was no less than usual.  You'd think that a decrease of 25% of the monthly consumption would have lowered our bill.  Why didn't it?

Now, you need to sit and think about these things, don't you?  I guess if you power off, you're really only in standby mode too. 

When are they going to figure out how we can power our own houses using the kinetic energy from the people playing our video games?  Now, I'll buy one of those appliances, even if it does have a little red dot on the front telling me when it isn't running.

Thank you for listening, jules

No comments:

Post a Comment