Tuesday, March 27, 2018

Buying Cat Litter in a Cardboard Box

This morning, I cut open a plastic package containing tortellini. I emptied the pasta into the pot of boiling water and dumped the packaging into the trash. Already, there was a plastic wrapper from a package of bacon, a large plastic container that had held four days worth of spinach, and a plug from my carton of milk.

I stood and stared at my garbage for a moment. It was 6:17 am.

"So much plastic," I said.

"Yeah," said Mike, "and most of them could package this stuff in plastic made of cellulose, stuff that would eventually break down in the landfills."

"Shit, we throw away enough to kill an animal every day."

"Cellulose, I'm telling you. It's the future."

Where are you food producers? Organic Girl? Are you in?

What about you Buttoni? We eat your tortellini twice a week. That's the weekly lives of two birds or a big fish. Can you make the switch?

Nutribiotic? Can you be a harbinger for a brighter future by switching to a more sustainable packaging?

I can't exactly boycott plastic altogether, but I'm trying. I'd really hate to lose my Organic Girl greens, but I'm already buying loose bunches of romaine lettuce more often. See, there's one thing I can do, buy less plastic.

I already buy Arm and Hammer Fragrance Free Cat Litter because it works well and it comes in a sturdy cardboard box that I can recycle every week! Go Arm and Hammer!

Thank you for listening, jules

No comments:

Post a Comment