Wednesday, April 27, 2016

My Own Opinion in My Own Kitchen

I'm better than you because my house is cleaner than yours.

I'm better than you because my SAT scores, IQ, grades, education were better than yours.

I'm better than you because I drive a more expensive, a more in-vogue, a faster car and live in a bigger house in a better neighborhood than you do.

I'm better than you because I work longer hours at a cooler company than you do.

I'm better than you because I'm busier than you, more important, less expendable than you.

Everyone is expendable. That's how it works. If you do things right, love well, care, serve, and provide, you will leave a hole when you die, but you're still ultimately expendable. That hole will fill in with other people who do what you did, love well, care, serve, and provide.

And nothing, not even intelligence or money or your job, makes you better than anyone else. 

I'm living with a person right now who plays one of these games, the one regarding intellectual prowess. I hate that game. He lives in my house yet I'm made to feel stupid so he can feel smarter, better, more worthy. Whatever.

I need to ask him to stop it. I want to have a normal conversation in my kitchen on a Saturday morning as I make pancakes for my family and I don't want to have to cite my sources when I say that commercials are not healthy for a person. I am allowed to have an opinion. It's just a fucking opinion and people are full of lots of them, some logical and some not and I don't care to judge whether or not I'm right, smart, better than you as a result of this opinion, on a Saturday morning as I make pancakes for you in my kitchen.

Thank you for listening, jules

No comments:

Post a Comment