Monday, April 8, 2013

Honking the Horn

"I don't want you to chat until you're ready. Can you feel me getting angry?" I was trying to be patient with him as he told me the story of his dream, but one thing - watch this - led to another - let me tell you that - and now I'm frustrated because I need to get out of the house with this boy on time for his eye exam.

"I love you, Mom," he says in reply.

"I love you too, Honey. Now, focus on the next thing and get ready." I hate how my words come out as an 'I love you but...' I keep trying to tell this boy that I love him even when I'm angry or frustrated with him. The more frustrated I get, the more he says, "I love you, Mom."

I'm failing as a parent. Am I supposed to get all melty and forget that we have some things to do and let him go back to being zoned out in front of the television?

I'm going to go sit in the car and resist the urge to lean on the horn.

Thank you for listening, jules
 

No comments:

Post a Comment